PSYC1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Social Cognitive Theory, Leptin, Menopause

58 views3 pages
PSYC1010 lecture week 10 module 4 clinical and health
Health Psychology
*What is health?
-not being ill, an absence of systems but also physical fitness/vitality, health enhancing
behaviours, psychosocial well-being, function, having a positive resource
-a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of
disease of infirmity -WHO
*Health psychology
-study of social, behavioural, cognitive and emotional factors that influence the
maintenance of health, development of illness and disease, course of illness or disease,
patients and failies’ response to illness and disease
*Models of health
-Biomedical: biochemical, reductionist, single-factor, emphasis illness, medically dominant
-Biopsychosocial: complex interaction, holistic, interactive, emphasises health,
multidisciplinary
>iteratio etee iologial, psyhologial ad soial fators of a idiidual’s life
>iteratio is prie deteriat of a idiidual’s urret health status
>biological: genetic predisposition, physiological functioning
>psychological factors: cognition, emotion, personality, motivation
>social: culture, legislation, community, family, education
*Measures of epidemiology
-morbidity: cases of a disease that exist at some point in time
-incidence is new cases
-prevalence is total existing cases
-mortality: number of deaths due to particular causes
*Australia is living longer
-biggest burdens are dementia, diabetes type 2 and obesity (63% adults, 37% of children 5-
14 and 37% young people 15-24)
*Chronic disease
-characterised by ling lasting effect once present we usually live out our lives with it
-mild conditions
e.g. arthritis, asthma, back pain, cancer, cardiovascular, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease, diabetes, mental health condition
*What is dementia?
-gradual impairment of brain function, skills affected inc. memory, cognition and personality
-diffiult to test, ost ooly Alzheier’s or asular deetia
-affects almost 1 in 10 over 65
-not caused by age but does primarily affect older people
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Psyc1010 lecture week 10 module 4 clinical and health. Not being ill, an absence of systems but also physical fitness/vitality, health enhancing behaviours, psychosocial well-being, function, having a positive resource. A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease of infirmity -who. Study of social, behavioural, cognitive and emotional factors that influence the maintenance of health, development of illness and disease, course of illness or disease, patients and fa(cid:373)ilies" response to illness and disease. Biomedical: biochemical, reductionist, single-factor, emphasis illness, medically dominant. Biopsychosocial: complex interaction, holistic, interactive, emphasises health, multidisciplinary. >i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374) (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) (cid:271)iologi(cid:272)al, psy(cid:272)hologi(cid:272)al a(cid:374)d so(cid:272)ial fa(cid:272)tors of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s life. >i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374) is pri(cid:373)e deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)a(cid:374)t of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:272)urre(cid:374)t health status. Morbidity: cases of a disease that exist at some point in time. Mortality: number of deaths due to particular causes. Biggest burdens are dementia, diabetes type 2 and obesity (63% adults, 37% of children 5-

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers