BCM110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: South Australian Film Corporation, Abc Iview, Tom Hanks

19 views2 pages
COMMUNICATIONS LECTURE 10- BUT IS IT TELEVISION?
The Katering Show: a web series that started out as a home-made side project comedy
series  the to Kates that became an overnight sensation and were contacted by ABC
iView who financed the second series and ended up on ABC1 and are producing a new series
called Get Krack!n.
Wastelander Panda: an Australian web series created by uni students Victoria Cocks and
Marcus McKenzie after producing a prologue video in 2012 which went viral within 3 days.
They raised funding through Pozible to created three more episodes and received further
funding by Screen Australia and South Australian Film corporation and in 2013 were
approached by Madmen and later by ABC where it was revoiced and reshot for iView.
We are trying to justify the existence of web series and understand the contribution they
make to our society so we have to ask ourselves what their value is to the creative
industries.
We series aret a e idea though; the first episodi draa o the iteret as i 99
called The Spot and ran for two years. From 2000 onwards there were many changes to the
TV industry as cable and satellite are brought about and the launch of YouTube in 2005 was
essential as a platform for people to make and share material, for an all matter of purposes.
Web series gets money from advertising, from You Tube once they get a certain number of
views or from subscribers.
In the last decade there has been the rise of the multichannel networks which makes it hard
for e series to reake their iestet as To Haks sas he gae up log ago the idea
that ou ould ake oe doig this. Its etreel hard to oetise thigs that are free
oer the iteret. Hoeer, the are gettig reogitio fro the Streas ad i 
were included in the Emmys in the category for short form series.
At the sae tie Netfli, Fotel ad Aazo aret just sharig alread ade edia, the
are creatig it as ell, hih ist eatl a e series.
Could e series e a threat to teleisio? Proal ot eause the at opete ith
high ed produtios ad aret soethig that ou ath as a soial atiit ith fail or
friends etc. but could very well compete on content for smaller digital devices if you are
watching alone.
Could they be valuable to television? Yes because web series work as a training ground for
creative, constitutes a talent pool for the industry, are a source of ideas and new content.
The ideas and fan bases are already there, the producers of legacy media just have to pick
up whichever ones they think will succeed.
Its aluale to osuers eause its produed  oug people for oug people, it a
be watched anywhere because of online accessibility and gives you access to material you
ould ot usuall see eause it doest go through a oral esorship produt, the
aret orried aout offedig, the just at to preset their essage.
It is helpful for aspiring actors, producers etc. as it is a hard industry to get into and by
coming up with their own idea and releasing it to the public for free they are putting their
image and brand out there. By creating a product, artists are able to become more involved
in the more established media.
Web series build an audience which helps the creators make their way into the established
edia or gai ore fudig. Gettig our fa ase i efore ou eoe ore legitiate.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class