PSYC1102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Memory Consolidation, Longitudinal Study, Family Values

34 views16 pages
22 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Personality develops through 8 psychosocial stages, each involving a different crisis/conflict over how we view ourselves in relation to other people/the world. Trust vs mistrust: "can i trust the world?" Forms the sense of "an essential trustfulness of others as well as a fundamental sense of one"s own trustworthiness" Helps children develop trust in others and a sense of their own worth. Leads to frustration, suspicion, withdrawal and lack of confidence. Autonomy vs shame/doubt: "is it ok to be me?" Parents need to encourage autonomy and provide a secure base to return to. If parents restrict the child or make harsh/overly difficult demands, children may feel shame, doubt or reduced self-confidence. Initiative vs guilt: "is it ok for me to do, move, act?" Children begin to explore, test and examine the world. Encouragement leads to improved confidence and a sense of initiative. Discouragement or punishment leads to guilt and the suppression of curiosity.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers