NURS1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Evidence-Based Practice
1 pages100 viewsSpring 2018
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Lecture four: evidence-based practice and reflective care
• The aims of care are to promote, maintain and restore health.
• Evidence based practice comes from research, workshops, textbooks etc.
• Evidence based practice is the basis of the policies and standards of hospitals
• Nurses are encouraged to look at policies and procedures before learning a skill
• The best available evidence comes from patient values, clinical experience and best
• A care path is an evidence based, procedure document for specific procedures. An
example of a care path would be how to care for a patient post-surgery. The
problem with care paths is that they are generic because they are not tailored
towards the patients. However, they are useful because they act as a
guideline/baseline that nurses can follow.
• Evidence based practice is the safest care to be offered
• Practioners-patient interaction is important for patient centred evidence-based
practice because it ensures the patient feels comfortable to tell you full details,
which allows you to give them the best care.
• Reflections are important for evidence-based care as they allow nurses to improve
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.