COMS 2003 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Culture Industry, Dialectic, Subliminal Stimuli

56 views4 pages
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
COMS 2003
Lecture 3 Continued
-2 major thinkers (Karl Marx, Freud): Transformation from traditional to modern society
-Among the values is that they serve as witnesses to industrialization, urbanization,
mass production, mass consumption, …
-Marx: Arguing for a kind of theory of history, the way change happens, relations of
production, indications under which things are produced (capitalism)
Alienation
Powerful critique of what the economy transformation from traditional to modern
society does to people
-Freud: Internal view, having to do with the psychological effects brought on by
civilization
-Marx ideas:
Material sense
-Freud ideas in comm:
Trailer of fast and furious movie
-Tradition of the analysis of film that says that films are like the theatre of the
unconscious. In other words, what you see on the screen is the artist
unconscious playing out in front of me.
-Elegant because it highlights freud’s ideas (drives, animalistic behavior, i.e. break
the rules, drive as fast as you want wherever you want)
-Metaphor of a male desire (cars as a symbol that pierces its way through the city
going wherever it wants on its own terms)
-Examples of freudian notions of drive, the playing out of unfettered, unregulated,
animalistic desires both in the physical and sexual sense.
-Freud’s value in comm is a viewing strategy to make some sense of the things
we see.
!1
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

2 major thinkers (karl marx, freud): transformation from traditional to modern society. Among the values is that they serve as witnesses to industrialization, urbanization, mass production, mass consumption, . Freud: internal view, having to do with the psychological effects brought on by civilization. Freud ideas in comm: trailer of fast and furious movie. Tradition of the analysis of lm that says that lms are like the theatre of the unconscious. In other words, what you see on the screen is the artist unconscious playing out in front of me. Elegant because it highlights freud"s ideas (drives, animalistic behavior, i. e. break the rules, drive as fast as you want wherever you want) Metaphor of a male desire (cars as a symbol that pierces its way through the city going wherever it wants on its own terms) Examples of freudian notions of drive, the playing out of unfettered, unregulated, animalistic desires both in the physical and sexual sense.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers