GINS 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Panamanian Balboa, Ecuadorian Sucre, Russian Ruble

31 views3 pages
International Finance 1
Week 7 Nov. 3rd
How does international trade relate to national accounts?
-People and firms in all countries trade domestically, and internationally
-Crucial distinction between domestic and international trade:
-domestically, trade is done in locally currency
-internationally, trade is done in foreign currencies
-Same applies to investments done internationally
-Foreign direct investments, financial investments (stock market, bonds, loans, etc.)
-In other words, trade (and investment) being not only our labour and business conditions together
internationally, but also our local currencies
-Local currencies matter because they are issued by national governments, usually following exclusively
national goals
-Providing sufficient currency to facilitate domestic transactions, savings/investments
-Financing government budget deficits (ie. Gov. prints money to pay its creditors/employees)
-Displace other forms of payment (servitude, traditional agreements, barter, etc.)
Ho does gloal eooi itegratio ifluee our oey’s orth?
-Some overly simple examples:
-If e osue oe ipoted tha atioally podued goods, ou outy’s ipots go.
-What happens to our currency vs foreign currencies?
-How will that matter to our national economy?
-If we prefer to consume more locally-produced goods that also others demand abroad, our exports
might decrease. If we continue to also consume the same amount of imported goods, what will happen
to our trade balance?
-How will that affect our currency? Will it appreciate or depreciate?
-How will that influence our domestic firms and jobs?
Currencies and national economies
-Not all ueies ae histoially ad uetly eual fo iteatioal tasatios…
-US dollar has been dominant since 1945
-Japanese Yen, Chinese Yuan and Euros have significant participation
-Other currencies have become increasingly irrelevant, such as UK Pound and Russian Ruble
-Many have disappeared (19 European currencies folded into the Euro) or exists only formally
(Panamanian Balboa, Ecuadorian Sucre)
-I ay deelopig outies, had ueies ae used fo lage tasatios, iestets
ad saigs. Natioal esees ae usually auulated i those had ueies.
-Still, local currencies matter at the national level because wages and other sources of income are
usually paid that way. Therefore, the levels of demand from the population are linked to the value of the
local money.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Foreign direct investments, financial investments (stock market, bonds, loans, etc. ) Providing sufficient currency to facilitate domestic transactions, savings/investments. Financing government budget deficits (ie. gov. prints money to pay its creditors/employees) Displace other forms of payment (servitude, traditional agreements, barter, etc. ) People and firms in all countries trade domestically, and internationally. In other words, trade (and investment) being not only our labour and business conditions together internationally, but also our local currencies. Local currencies matter because they are issued by national governments, usually following exclusively national goals. If (cid:449)e (cid:272)o(cid:374)su(cid:373)e (cid:373)o(cid:396)e i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ted tha(cid:374) (cid:374)atio(cid:374)ally p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)ed goods, ou(cid:396) (cid:272)ou(cid:374)t(cid:396)y"s i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ts g(cid:396)o(cid:449). If we prefer to consume more locally-produced goods that also others demand abroad, our exports might decrease. Not all (cid:272)u(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:374)(cid:272)ies a(cid:396)e histo(cid:396)i(cid:272)ally a(cid:374)d (cid:272)u(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:374)tly e(cid:395)ual fo(cid:396) i(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:374)atio(cid:374)al t(cid:396)a(cid:374)sa(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s . Japanese yen, chinese yuan and euros have significant participation. Other currencies have become increasingly irrelevant, such as uk pound and russian ruble.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers