MICR 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis, Passive Immunity, Vaccine

56 views3 pages

Document Summary

Understanding immunity: active immunity: protection produced in the person as a result of exposure to an antigen or a pathogen, can be result of natural infection or vaccine-induced. Immunity, infection and vaccination: natural pathway to infection: i(cid:374)fe(cid:272)tio(cid:374) disease (cid:272)hro(cid:374)i(cid:272) disease, immunity, or death, vaccine pathway to infection: i(cid:374)fe(cid:272)tio(cid:374) i(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)ity (bypass disease, take away infection and disease; direct immunity. If you do develop the disease, the symptoms will be not as virulent. Either complete protection or patients do get ill. disease will be attenuated: e. g. varicella: even if indv is exposed to high dose of varicella long after taking the vaccine, the indv will have attenuated clinical disease. Secondary exposure (within days: no lag period. Increase in igg is must faster: virus does(cid:374)"t get a hold of the body and limits the replication period (chances of getting sick are lower) Immune response after vaccination: primary response: 7-14 days, anamnestic (memory) response: 1-2 days.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers