PSYC 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Terror Management Theory, Social Comparison Theory, The Peripheral

52 views7 pages
Week 18: Social Psychology I
Topic 01: The Self
“oial Psholog: The sietifi stud of ho a pesos thoughts, feeligs ad ehaiou ae
influenced by the real, imagined or implied presence of others
Self- Schema: Beliefs people hold about themselves that guide how they process self-relevant
information-how they categorize and store information about themselves
Self- Coept: A idiiduals peeptio of self, iludig koledge, feeligs ad ideas aout
oneself. It is used as a basis for how we describe ourselves.
Schematicity: The importance of particular self-sheas to a pesos self-concept
o Ex. If you believe yourself to be honest and fair and these qualities are important to
your self-concept, you are likely to harshly evaluate a stranger whom you see hop on
the bus without paying his fare
o People tend to reconstruct their memories for past events or behaviours in a schema-
consistent manner
Ashematic: Not having a schema for a particular categorization or situation
Self-Awareness: The ability to recognize oneself as a distinct entity
o Pshologists use eogizig oes o efletio i a io to test the eistee of
self-awareness
Itospetio: Lookig iad to oes o thoughts ad feeligs
o Studies have shown that when participants are asked to analyze the reasons they feel a
etai a, thei attitudes ad ehaious dot alig
o People are not very accurate at describing why they do the things they do
Affective Forecasting: Predicting how one would feel about a future emotional event
o People tend to believe that they would be much more devastated and much more
elated than they are at that future time
o People generally overestimate the strength and duration of their emotional reactions
Self-Perception Theory: When internal cues are difficult to interpret, people sometimes
determine their attitudes and feelings by observing their own behaviour
Comparisons:
o Looking-Glass Self: The notion that other people serve as mirrors in which we see
ourselves
o Social Comparison Theory: The theory that people evaluate their own abilities and
opinions by comparing themselves to others
Cultural Factors:
o In individualistic cultures, people describe themselves in terms of their inner
psychological characteristics such as attitudes, personality traits ad ailities e I a
itelliget
o Independent self-concept in which they view the self as distinct, autonomous, self-
contained and unique
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
o In collectivist cultures, people describe themselves in terms of their relational roles and
goup eeships e. I a a othe
o Interdependent self-concept-they view the self as part of a larger social network in
which harmonious relationships with others are more important than self-expression
Self Esteem: Overall feelings of approval and acceptance of self
o Note that self-concept is a cognitive evaluation while self-esteem is emotional
o Self-concept is how we think about ourselves, self-esteem is how we feel about
ourselves
Sociometer Theory: States that self-esteem evolved as a way to measure interpersonal
relationships
o Research has shown that:
o There is a strong correlation between self-esteem and experiencing
acceptance/rejection from others
o Things that increase your self-estee ould also ipoe othes opiios of ou
o Puli feedak affets a pesos leel of self-esteem, but private feedback does not
Terror Management Theory: States that all human behaviour is motivated by the fear of our
own mortality
o They argue that the inevitability of death is terrifying, and people are motivated to
pursue positive self-evaluations because higher self-esteem provides a bugger against
this potential fear and anxiety
Different ways people manage to build (or hinder) their self-esteem:
o Self-Hadiappig: Egagig i ehaious desiged to saotage oes o
performance in order to provide a subsequent excuse for failure
o Basking in Reflected Glory (BIRG): Associating with others who are successful to increase
oes self-esteem
o Downward Social Comparisons: Defensive tendencies to compare oneself with others
who are worse off than oneself
Self-Serving Cognition: General beliefs about the self that serve to enhance self-esteem
o Better-than-average effect: Most people rate themselves on most dimensions as better
than the average person- a statistical impossibility
o Unrealistic Optimism: Most people are unrealistically optimistic about their future
outlook
o Self-Serving Attributions: This self-enhancing belief is characterized by the tendency to
take personal credit for successes and provide external excuses for failure
Self-Discrepancy Theory: Our self-esteem and emotional states are determined by the match or
mismatch between how we see ourselves and how we want to see ourselves
o The atual self efes to peoples eliefs egadig thei atual attiutes e. “elf-
concept)
o The ought self efes to peoples eliefs egadig hat the ad ipotat othes
think they should or ought to be (ex. Nice, generous)
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
salmonllama211 and 39398 others unlocked
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
65 documents

Document Summary

It is used as a basis for how we describe ourselves: schematicity: the importance of particular self-s(cid:272)he(cid:373)as to a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)(cid:859)s self-concept, ex. In individualistic cultures, people describe themselves in terms of their inner psychological characteristics such as attitudes, personality traits a(cid:374)d a(cid:271)ilities e(cid:454) (cid:862)i a(cid:373) i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)t(cid:863) Independent self-concept in which they view the self as distinct, autonomous, self- contained and unique. In collectivist cultures, people describe themselves in terms of their relational roles and g(cid:396)oup (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396)ships e(cid:454). (cid:862)i a(cid:373) a (cid:271)(cid:396)othe(cid:396)(cid:863) Elf- concept: the (cid:858)ought(cid:859) self (cid:396)efe(cid:396)s to people(cid:859)s (cid:271)eliefs (cid:396)ega(cid:396)di(cid:374)g (cid:449)hat the(cid:455) a(cid:374)d i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t othe(cid:396)s think they should or ought to be (ex. Nice, generous: the (cid:858)ideal(cid:859) self (cid:396)efe(cid:396)s to people(cid:859)s (cid:271)eliefs (cid:396)ega(cid:396)di(cid:374)g (cid:449)hat the(cid:455) a(cid:374)d i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t othe(cid:396)s would like them to be (ex. Athletic, a good singer: when an actual/ought discrepancy occurs, there is said to be an existence of negative outcomes, when an actual/ideal discrepancy exists, there is said to be an absence of positive outcomes.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers