PHL 366 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Simone De Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre, Existentialism

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Who was simone de beauvoir? lived through 20th century, the holocaust, great depression, etc. She is not abstract, she philosophizes sex, gender, etc. Major contribution to the feminist movement, her existentialism challenges the oppression of women. One is not born, but one becomes a woman , we are free to become what we want, there is no determination that we can become based on biology (our biology is not our destiny), Sartre says i am free to decide the meaning of my life. Beauvoir talks about engaged freedom, found in a world that exceeds me, but limited by race or gender. When people see me, they determine what i can be, it is not determining, but it definitely limits me. Ideas of oppression, violence and the possibility of freedom, and ethics that people were discouraged about, so people read them for pleasure and discussed. My situated freedom, a situation that i did not determine that limits my possibilities.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers