BPK 142 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Cinahl, Vancouver System, Global Health

566 views4 pages
Library Lab
Compare and contrast a scholarly article (e.g. original research article or review article) and a
popular source (e.g. a website, a magazine article) on the following topic:
Are there any long term health effects associated with smoking marijuana?
Requirements:
1. Provide full citations to both sources using Vancouver style.
Journal Article:
Green K, Doherty E, Ensminger M. Long-term consequences of adolescent cannabis use: Examining
intermediary processes. American Journal Of Drug & Alcohol Abuse [Internet]. 2016 Dec 08 [cited 2018
Mar 18]; 43(5): 567-575. Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com. DOI:
10.1080/00952990.2016.1258706
Popular Source:
American Addiction Centers. Dangers of Marijuana: Long-Term Effects on the Brain and Body [Internet].
Tennessee: American Addiction Centers; 2018 [updated 2018; cited 2018 Mar 18]. Available from:
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/marijuana-rehab/long-term-effects/
2. For each source, indicate the database or search engine you used to find it, and state
why you chose this database/search engine.
Journal Article:
I used the CINAHL Complete database to find the journal article. Based on the topic of marijuana and
long term health effects associated with it, I browsed databases based on the following subjects: health
care & epidemiology, global health, and health sciences. For each subject, CINAHL Complete is a top
result.
Popular Source:
I used Google search to find the poplar source, because it is a quick and easy way to find popular
sources. There are also many different types of popular sources that can be easily accessed using
Google search, such as magazine (ex. National Geographic) and news articles (ex. Global News, CBC).
3. Did you modify your initial search in order to find the scholarly source or popular
source? (i.e., Did you add additional search terms? Or remove search terms? Did you
use any filters on your results?)
Explain why or why not.
Journal Article:
Yes, I modified my initial search. When I copied and pasted the question, there were still many results;
however, the types of journal articles that appeared were not the ones I was looking for. For example, the
articles that appeared were about long-term marijuana use rather than the long-term health effects of
using marijuana. This is how I modified my search: marijuana OR cannabis OR cannabinoid AND
long-term OR “long term” AND health OR consequences. By searching this way, I was able to make the
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Compare and contrast a scholarly article (e. g. original research article or review article) and a popular source (e. g. a website, a magazine article) on the following topic: Requirements: provide full citations to both sources using vancouver style. Green k, doherty e, ensminger m. long-term consequences of adolescent cannabis use: examining intermediary processes. American journal of drug & alcohol abuse [internet]. Dangers of marijuana: long-term effects on the brain and body [internet]. Tennessee: american addiction centers; 2018 [updated 2018; cited 2018 mar 18]. Available from: https://americanaddictioncenters. org/marijuana-rehab/long-term-effects: for each source, indicate the database or search engine you used to find it, and state why you chose this database/search engine. I used the cinahl complete database to find the journal article. Based on the topic of marijuana and long term health effects associated with it, i browsed databases based on the following subjects: health care & epidemiology, global health, and health sciences. For each subject, cinahl complete is a top result.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers