CMNS 349 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Intensive Farming, Bill Mckibben, Frank Luntz

217 views4 pages
Conceptual Perspective
Presence of environmental communication in media and everyday life
Eioetal ouiatio is peasie. Pezzullo ad Co. p. 1)
Is it? Ho ould e assess the peasieess of eioetal ouiatio?
How prevalent/prominent is it compared tot other forms of news, media and communication?
Media coverage of extreme weather consistently underemphasizes the link with climate change.
What perpleed e as that despite the fat that people ere learl aare of global warming as
a phenomenon, everyday life in Bygdaby went on as though it did not exist …. Gloal arig did
not appear to be a common topic of either political or private conversation unless I brought up the
topic. Aside from small talk about the unusual weather, few people ever seemed to spend much time
thikig aout gloal arig. p. ii
People hae a iitial reatio of oer, ad the e had a dead zoe here there as ertail
ot uh to e said, nothing to talk about. p. 55
… eause eotios are diffiult to otrol diretl, the ai a of otrollig oes eotios is
to eert otrol oer oes thoughts. ‘oseerg, p. 9
Like oersatios, eotios atter i the geeratio of a puli sphere. Eotios a uite
people in common cause, inform their interpretations of the world, and thus catalyze both the
sociological imagination ad politial poer. p. 
Environmental Public Sphere(s)
Puli sphees ae the fous ad iteatios i hih diffeet idiiduals engage each other
about subjects of shared concern or that affect a wider community from neighborhoods to
iteatioal elatios. P&C, 
Pezzullo and Cox provide a largely descriptive account of the public sphere.
But the concept was strongly normative for Jurgen Habermas, prescribing care principle for
organizing democratic communication.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, public spheres evolved that were insulated from structures of
power, creating spaces for free discussion, debate and deliberation. They were (ideally)
organized according to three key principles: equality, autonomy and reason. Debate and
deliberation within them defined the public interest.
Haeas defies puli opiio as e diffeet fo ho e use the te toda. It as
much more than simply the aggregation of private opinion(s), and required public listening and
public reasoning.
Translate and transcend?
An appropriate metaphor for relationship between the private and public spheres?
Pezzullo ad Co: As e egage ith othes, e translate our private or technical topics into
public ones and, thus, create circles of influence that affect how we imagine the environment
and our relationships within it. Such translations of private concerns into public matters occur in
a range of forums and practices that give rise to something akin to an environmental public
sphee … -21).
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Presence of environmental communication in media and everyday life (cid:862)e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)tal (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374) is pe(cid:396)(cid:448)asi(cid:448)e. (cid:863) (cid:894)pezzullo a(cid:374)d co(cid:454). p. 1) Glo(cid:271)al (cid:449)ar(cid:373)i(cid:374)g did not appear to be a common topic of either political or private conversation unless i brought up the topic. E(cid:373)otio(cid:374)s (cid:373)a(cid:455) u(cid:374)ite people in common cause, inform their interpretations of the world, and thus catalyze both the sociological imagination a(cid:374)d politi(cid:272)al po(cid:449)er. (cid:863) (cid:894)p. (cid:1006)(cid:1005)(cid:1007)(cid:895) In the 18th and 19th centuries, public spheres evolved that were insulated from structures of power, creating spaces for free discussion, debate and deliberation. They were (ideally) organized according to three key principles: equality, autonomy and reason. Debate and deliberation within them defined the public interest: ha(cid:271)e(cid:396)(cid:373)as defi(cid:374)es (cid:862)pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) opi(cid:374)io(cid:374)(cid:863) as (cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:455) diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)t f(cid:396)o(cid:373) ho(cid:449) (cid:449)e use the te(cid:396)(cid:373) toda(cid:455). It (cid:449)as much more than simply the aggregation of private opinion(s), and required public listening and public reasoning.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers