PSYC 2290 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Amniotic Fluid, Visual Acuity, Color Vision

32 views8 pages

Document Summary

Perceptual and motor development: basic sensory and perceptual process, determine how people perceive, select, modify, and organize stimulation from the environment, linked to motor skills, studied in infants using habituation. Sweet tastes are preferred and bitter tastes are disliked. Certain odor preferences are present at birth such as bananas and chocolate. Amniotic fluid has tastes and smells that depend on (cid:373)other"s diet a(cid:374)d these i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e prefere(cid:374)(cid:272)es. Baby will adapt to food especially when associated with satiation of hunger. Sensitivity to touch and pain at birth: if you give a baby some sweet solution when it is in pain, it calms them down. Releases endorphins: when touched by loved ones, minimizes physical pain and emotional pain. Use (cid:373)outh to gai(cid:374) i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) (cid:271)y tou(cid:272)h (cid:271)efore they"re coordinated enough to use their fingers. Infants can distinguish different types of sounds and languages. At 4-7 months: they organize sounds into meaningful patterns, example; liste(cid:374)i(cid:374)g to differe(cid:374)t la(cid:374)guage"s patter(cid:374) 4 months: they recognize their names.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers