ENGL 110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Qing Dynasty, Tyrant

22 views4 pages
23 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
It is said that, “The only constant is changing”, and obviously, in “The Winds of
Changes”, Hairston, as the writer of this article, specifically decomposed the process of
“paradigm changing” from the “The Old Paradigm”, to “Sings of Changes” and
eventually to the “Portents for the Future”. Every results have a process that leading to
it, and Hairston started with illustrating what is the “The Current-Traditional Paradigm
and Its Proponents”.
Richard Yong described the traditional writing paradigm as “the emphasis on the
composed product rather than the composing process”, and it’s not hard to realize that
significant misconception actually exists every where all around the world, even
sometimes the cultural backgrounds and mother tongues of students are completely
different. Even at the ancient time, like hundreds years ago, in Qing dynasty, we had the
what so called “Eight-Part Essays”. This means that an essay needs to have eight parts,
from breaking the ice, to getting into the main point you want to discuss and finally to
the conclusion. And this was more like a standard or “paradigm” for students to write,
and of course, personally, I think it fundamentally has the same essences as the “five-
paragraph essay”. They are all standard writing formats for students to write papers,
and they all build up a fence that writers are not allowed to cross. More importantly,
when this kind of “composed product is the most important thing in writing” concept is
extensively spread to students, the future writers, it is undoubtedly sending a signal, a
message to us, that is, in Carter’s words, “Revision means fixing spelling and grammar”
and “Good writers always get it right the first time.”
Take myself as an example, when I was still in junior high school, I always hated
revision because of this misconception about revision. As students, we did not see
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

It is said that, the only constant is changing , and obviously, in the winds of. Changes , hairston, as the writer of this article, specifically decomposed the process of. Paradigm changing from the the old paradigm , to sings of changes and eventually to the portents for the future . Every results have a process that leading to it, and hairston started with illustrating what is the the current-traditional paradigm and its proponents . Even at the ancient time, like hundreds years ago, in qing dynasty, we had the what so called eight-part essays . This means that an essay needs to have eight parts, from breaking the ice, to getting into the main point you want to discuss and finally to the conclusion. And this was more like a standard or paradigm for students to write, and of course, personally, i think it fundamentally has the same essences as the five- paragraph essay .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers