PSYC 308 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Electromyography

36 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

How we evaluate a person, object, or idea. A = affective = emotional reactions towards target. Often based on values and beliefs, not rational examination. Challenging attitudes = challenging values and beliefs. B = behavioral = actions or observable behavior towards target. Invokes self-perception theory (cid:468)doe) it match up with what i am thinking? (cid:469) C = cognitive = thoughts and beliefs about target. Based on rational consideration of properties of target. Can be utilitarian entails engagement of cost/benefit calculus. Think mo(e about (cid:468)what a(e the co)t) of engaging(cid:469) Assessment of threat from target (cid:468)how beneficial i) thi) to me? (cid:469) (cid:468)how th(eatening i) thi) to me? (cid:469) Serve to help us organize info from our external environment. Provides clarity and consistency to the individual regarding their environment. We associate positivity with objects that satisfy needs -> develop positive attitude towards object. We associate negativity with objects that thwarts or punish us -> develop negative attitude towards object.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers