Pharmacology 3620 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Tetrabenazine, Excitotoxicity, Olanzapine

122 views5 pages

Document Summary

A motor system disorder caused by loss of dopaminergic neurons (more below) Other symptoms: depression & other emotional changes, problems with facial motor = difficulty swallowing, chewing, speaking, urinary problems or constipation, skin problems, sleep disruptions. As symptoms become more pronounced, the shaking/tremors will cause difficulty walking, talking, and completing other tasks. The disease progresses at varying rates for different people. Usually effects people ages 50+ (i. e. begins at age 50) Lbs also prese(cid:374)t i(cid:374) hu(cid:374)ti(cid:374)gto(cid:374)"s disease: sn neurons are normally black in colour, but fading of the dark pigment = loss of dopaminergic neurons. = pd: pet scans show that loss of dopamine content in substantia nigra (sn) is correlated with severity of pd. Severe pd = very little dopamine content in. However, studies have shown that some patients can lose up to 90% of. Pri(cid:373)ary strategy is to (cid:862)give (cid:271)a(cid:272)k(cid:863) dopa(cid:373)i(cid:374)e to repla(cid:272)e the loss of dopa(cid:373)i(cid:374)e i(cid:374) n. Levodopa (l-dopa; dopamine precursor) only metabolized in the brain.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers