PS268 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Codeine, Psychoactive Drug, Propylhexedrine

78 views6 pages
10 Jan 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Changing views in society about psychoactive drug use. Drugs in the workplace and lost productivity. Changing attitudes towards drugs results in changes in the law. What caused this shift in approach: costs to society: toxicity, dependence and crime. Toxicity: the physical or psychological harm that a drug might present. What makes a drug toxic: ph(cid:455)siologi(cid:272)al to(cid:454)i(cid:272)it(cid:455): a(cid:373)ou(cid:374)t used, ho(cid:449) it"s used, effects on body, behavioural toxicity: what the user did while on the drug. Beha(cid:448)ioural: (cid:862)i(cid:374)to(cid:454)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374)(cid:863) that i(cid:373)pairs the a(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s of drug users a(cid:374)d increases the danger to themselves and others. Physiological: overdose that causes the user to stop breathing or causes cardiac arrest. Cocaine, mega-dose of caffeine, amphetamine = stop heart beat. Behavioural: personality and lifestyle changes, effects on relationships with friends/family. Physiological: heart disease, lung cancer, cirrhosis, other health effects. Meth-mouth=behav & phys toxicity b/c: talk dif & decay of gums, hygiene \/

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers