CAS BI 260 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Upwelling, Thermohaline Circulation, Coriolis Force

23 views2 pages

Document Summary

I atmosphericforcing of the oceans circulation of atmosphere ocean. A areas of earth"s surface that are equal in size receive differentlevels of solar radiation i radiationreceiveddecreases as moving from equator to poles due to increased distance. B fate of incoming radiation i incoming solarenergy is balanced by reflected reradiated energy ii atmospheric heat lossbalanced by heat transferred by evaporation conduction des reradiation. Coriolis effect due to earth"s rotation objects deflect to right in northern hemispheredg left in southern hemisphere. Up to surface iv upwelling hydrodynamics nutrient gain a primary production of chlorophyll a coastal upwelling. Equatorial upwelling a offshore tradewinds course movement of surface waters movement. B downwelling downward movement of water into deeper waters i oligotrophic waters ii downwetting hydrodynamics cgyres nutrient poor. Nutrient loss a coastal downwetting off shore movement coriolis causes water to move on shore making it pile up and get pushed downwards convergence of surface currents seasons change due to.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers