CAS PS 261 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Egocentric Bias, Mother Teresa, Representativeness Heuristic

45 views6 pages

Document Summary

Survey that asked americans about people who are famous and how likely they are to go to heaven. The percentages are high for certain people (like mother theresa). On the other hand, most people who answered about famous people going to heaven thought that they themselves were going to heaven. These biases are prevalent in individualistic societies and cultures. Taking credit for our successes, explaining away our failures. Egocentric bias: our tendency to see ourselves as having contributed more to an outcome than someone else. We think we contributed more than we really did. Everyone in the group thinks that they did everything on their own, without others helping). Sometimes we engage in bias for more cognitive reason for example, if i am trying to estimate how much i contributed, i think about of all the work i have done. No one has the access to the time that i spent on working on a group project.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers