BIO 351 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Small Nuclear Rna, Phosphodiester Bond, Snrnp

82 views2 pages
13 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Mechanism of Splicing Objectives
1. Identify conserved sequences at intron borders (donor, acceptor)
5’ Splie Site = Doo Site = highly oseed seuee of AGGT o AGGU i RNA that aks the egiig of
splicing
3’ Splie Site = Aepto Site = highly oseed seuee of AGG that marks the end of splicing
2. Describe how splice sites are recognized and cut (snRNP, snRNA, phosphoester transfer)
Overview requires 2 phosphoester transfers
Actual splicing requires Small Nuclear Ribonuclear Proteins (snRNPs) which consists of a protein complex and
Small Nuclear RNA (snRNA)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Identify conserved sequences at intron borders (donor, acceptor) 5" spli(cid:272)e site = do(cid:374)o(cid:396) site = highly (cid:272)o(cid:374)se(cid:396)(cid:448)ed se(cid:395)ue(cid:374)(cid:272)e of aggt (cid:894)o(cid:396) aggu i(cid:374) rna(cid:895) that (cid:373)a(cid:396)ks the (cid:271)egi(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of splicing. 3" spli(cid:272)e site = a(cid:272)(cid:272)epto(cid:396) site = highly (cid:272)o(cid:374)se(cid:396)(cid:448)ed se(cid:395)ue(cid:374)(cid:272)e of agg that marks the end of splicing: describe how splice sites are recognized and cut (snrnp, snrna, phosphoester transfer) Actual splicing requires small nuclear ribonuclear proteins (snrnps) which consists of a protein complex and. Small nuclear rna (snrna: site genetic evidence to describe the basis of disorder associated with mis-splicing of introns. Case study of tazwana williams had a blood disorder called thalassemia. Thalassemia = disease associated with low levels of -globin protein in red blood cells (rbcs), leading to small and misshapen rbcs. Discovered that she received two different mutations from her heterozygous parents. Bt1 has a 2 bp deletion in the promoter sequence leading to reduced or absent transcription.