NUTR 132 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Negative-Calorie Food, Body Surface Area, Celery

25 views2 pages

Document Summary

Basal metabolism, minimal amount of calories used by body, to support a fasting state when resting and awake in warm, quiet environment, approximately 60 to 75% of total energy needs. Includes energy needed to maintain heartbeat, respirations, and body temperature. Amount of energy needed for basal metabolism varies between individuals: approximately 1 kcal per minute. Resting metabolism (r m r: slightly higher than b m r when person is not fasting, factors that influence basal metabolism ii. iii. Lean body mass (muscle). i. ii: male or female. iv. v. vi. vii. viii. ix. x. Use of caffeine and tobacco: energy for physical activity. Increases energy expenditure by as much as 15% to 35%. i: more activity, more energy is burned. iii. Lack of activity is a major cause of obesity: thermic effect of food (tef) i. ii. iii. iv. Energy used to digest, absorb, and metabolize food nutrients. Approximately 5% to 10% above the total calories consumed.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers