POLS 155 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Caucus, Participatory Democracy, Mass Media

58 views1 pages
Chapter 14 and 15
For the first part of the journal I will be talking about the function elections, both
intended by the founders and in practice. Another thing I will be talking about would be to
summarize the political arguments for and against making it easier to for citizens vote. Also,
describing the factors that affect citizens decisions on whether and how to vote. To start of all the
founders intentions were fir the constitution to reflect the founders fear of participatory
democracy. The senators were not directly elected, president was not directly elected and only
house of representatives directly elected. Voting in a democratic society means that he function
of election are leaders and policy direction. The citizens develop a political efficiency for
citizens feeling of effectiveness in political affairs. If we don’t vote we do have consequences
which will be regulating the electorate that the process of setting rules that define who can vote
and how difficult or easy it will be to cast a ballot in an election. The motor Vote bill is the
legislation allowing citizens to register to vote at the same time they apply for drivers license or
other state benefit.
There are different ages who decide to vote or mot depending on their circumstances. The
age, of an older citizens at higher rater, gender is that women at higher rates than men. The
income like hood goes up with income and education one of the strongest predictors of voting,
and the race and ethnicity which are the whites have voted higher than minorities, but that
change in the 2008 education. Those who are deciding whether they want to vote on their
attitudes changes, voter mobilization Party is effort to inform potential voters about issues and
candidates and to persuade them to vote. Decrease in social connectedness are citizens
involvement in groups and their relationship to their communities. Deciding whom to vote for. In
the partisanship and social group membership, the party is the biggest factor accounting for how
people vote. The issue and policy would be perspective voting and retrospective voting.
Deciding whom to vote form, the candidates voters form clear opinions about candidate qualities
that are relevant to governing and voters perceive differences between candidates on issues and
how they would handle presidency. Presidential campaign are primaries and caucuses that are
party caucus which are local gathering pf [arty members to choose convention delegates.
Presidential primary are is an election why which voters choose convention delegates committed
to voting for certain candidate.
To move forward I will be talking about ways in which the sources from which
Americans get their news and information have changed in the past several decades. I will also
be describing ways in which media ownership and government regulation influence the news we
get and I will be explaining the roles and responsibilities of journalist. I will also be identifying
the tools politicians and the media use to shape and perpetuate political narratives.
We get our information from the gatekeepers which are journalist and media elite who
determine the news stories are covered and which are not. Mass media means that conveying
information to large public audiences cheaply and efficiently. We also, receive our information
from the radio, television, the internet. Media ownership impact get eh news we get because of
the consequences of corporate ownership which are the commercial bias. The tendency to make
coverage and programming decisions based on what will attract a large audience and maximize.
The effort to get and keep large audience and to make way for increased advertising, means a
reduced emphasis on political news. The content of the news we get is lightened up, dramatized
and streamlined to keep audiences tuned in. The corporate ownership of todays media means that
the media outlets frequently face conflicts of interest in deciding what news to cover or how to
cover it. Breaking a news story has always been a point of pride for editors and journalist.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

For the first part of the journal i will be talking about the function elections, both intended by the founders and in practice. Another thing i will be talking about would be to summarize the political arguments for and against making it easier to for citizens vote. Also, describing the factors that affect citizens decisions on whether and how to vote. To start of all the founders intentions were fir the constitution to reflect the founders fear of participatory democracy. The senators were not directly elected, president was not directly elected and only house of representatives directly elected. Voting in a democratic society means that he function of election are leaders and policy direction. The citizens develop a political efficiency for citizens feeling of effectiveness in political affairs. The motor vote bill is the legislation allowing citizens to register to vote at the same time they apply for drivers license or other state benefit.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers