PHIL 212 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Gilbert Ryle, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Stoicism

78 views3 pages
Philosophy of Mind 9.05.17 Lecture Notes Behaviorism and Identity Theory
- No single version of behaviorism
- Behaviorism refers to something different in philosophy and psychology
- Logical (or Philosophical) Behaviorism: a view about the meaning of mental state terms, psychological
expressions
- Methodological (or Psychological) Behaviorism view about how psychology ought to be conducted as
a science
- Both views emphasize the role of behavior in studying the mind
- 3 thinkers associated with philosophical behaviorism: Carl Hempel, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Gilbert Ryle
Logical Behaviorism
- Every meaningful psychological expression can be defined in terms of behavioral expressions (i.e.
expressions referring to overt behavioral phenomenon)
- Ma is i pai = Ma is epessig pai ehaio
o The behavior is not a symptom of the pain, but the pain behavior expression is pain
- Max exhibits certain types of pain behaviors (wincing, groaning, etc.)
- If ou a Ma if he is i pai, he ould sa es
- For Stoics, eve if ou’e ot ehiitig pai ehaios, ou ould e disposed to ehiit pai ehaio
- Animal pain behavior is different from humans
- Also problematic: when trying to find the outward behavior corresponding to belief
- Motivations for logical behaviorism
o Logial ehaioists did’t like the Catesia idea that etal state tes efeed to piate
inner mental happenings because this would make mental state ascriptions unverifiable
o If pai efes to soe piate ie state, ou ould ee e sue hether the statement
Ma is i pai is tue o ot
o They get around this problem by claiming that mental state terms instead refer to overt
behavior
o Ho a e ouiate these oepts i ou laguage if the do’t hae a lea a of
being verified
- The Beetle in the Box example
o If the od eetle is goig to hae soe sot of eaig i ouiatio, then it must be
verifiable
- Hepel’s Aguet pg 69, Ki
o Premise 1: people do’t eall susie to this elief o
o Premise 3: brain scans
- Two objections to logical behaviorism
o 1. Super-Spartan Objection: someone could be in pain without exhibiting pain behavior
Behaviorists get around this problem with dispositions
Under the right circumstances, the person would exhibit pain behaviors still iffy
o 2. Actor Objection: an actor could exhibit pain behavior without actually being in pain
theefoe, ehiitig pai ehaio is’t suffiiet fo soeoe’s eig i pai
Only way to defend is say that there are subtle differences between real and fake pain
behaviors
- Ontological: what exists (Cartesian dualism)
o Logical behaviorism is not straightforwardly ontological
- From logical to ontological behaviorism
o LB view about the meaning of words, not about what really exists
o Some radical LB will go further to deny the existence of our inner mental lives
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Philosophy of mind 9. 05. 17 lecture notes behaviorism and identity theory. Behaviorism refers to something different in philosophy and psychology. Logical (or philosophical) behaviorism: a view about the meaning of mental state terms, psychological expressions. Methodological (or psychological) behaviorism view about how psychology ought to be conducted as a science. Both views emphasize the role of behavior in studying the mind. 3 thinkers associated with philosophical behaviorism: carl hempel, ludwig wittgenstein, gilbert ryle. If (cid:455)ou (cid:272)a(cid:374) ma(cid:454) if he is i(cid:374) pai(cid:374), he (cid:449)ould sa(cid:455) (cid:862)(cid:455)es(cid:863) Max exhibits certain types of pain behaviors (wincing, groaning, etc. ) For stoics, eve(cid:374) if (cid:455)ou"(cid:396)e (cid:374)ot e(cid:454)hi(cid:271)iti(cid:374)g pai(cid:374) (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396)s, (cid:455)ou (cid:449)ould (cid:271)e disposed to e(cid:454)hi(cid:271)it pai(cid:374) (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396) Animal pain behavior is different from humans. Also problematic: when trying to find the outward behavior corresponding to belief. Motivations for logical behaviorism: logi(cid:272)al (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396)ists did(cid:374)"t like the ca(cid:396)tesia(cid:374) idea that (cid:373)e(cid:374)tal state te(cid:396)(cid:373)s (cid:396)efe(cid:396)(cid:396)ed to p(cid:396)i(cid:448)ate inner mental happenings because this would make mental state ascriptions unverifiable.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers