BSC 196 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Monocotyledon, Cork Cambium, Eudicots

39 views3 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Seed plants are a monophyletic group, most closely related to ferns. They are vascular, with true roots, stems, and leaves. They are the dominant land plants on earth today. Angiosperms are the most diverse and abundant of all plants. Eed pla(cid:374)ts do(cid:374)"t require water for fertilization. Pollen can be transferred by wind or by animal vectors (pollination). Seeds can grow even in harsh environments. They have tough coats that protect them from dehydration. In seed plants, the diploid sporophyte is the dominant stage. The gametophyte is tiny and totally dependent on the sporophyte. Seed plant sporophytes are heterosporous (2 spore types). Megaspores form megagametophytes: ovules with protective integuments. Fertilized ovules are seeds: contain the embryo and nourishing tissue. Gymnosperms: trees are mostly evergreen (keep leaves all year) (cid:862)naked seeds(cid:863): o(cid:448)ules are (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)ed i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)es. Angiosperms: trees are mostly deciduous (lose leaves in fall) (cid:862)vessel seeds(cid:863): o(cid:448)ules are (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)ed i(cid:374) flo(cid:449)ers, a(cid:374)d o(cid:448)aries de(cid:448)elop i(cid:374)to fruits.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers