GEOL 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: East Pacific Rise, San Andreas Fault, Tonga Trench

34 views3 pages

Document Summary

Age of the ocean floor: dated radiometrically, paleomagnetism b. i. Magnetic minerals in basalt point towards magnetic north pole b. ii. Polarity at time of formation is recorded in rock b. iii. Mirror image on either side of spreading center b. v. age of rock can be measured b. vi. Can calculate spreading rate: group activity c. i. Which is spreading faster the mid-atlantic ridge or east pacific rise? c. i. 1. Calculate the half-spreading rate (in cm/yr) across the mid- This is the rate at which one of the plates is growing. c. i. 1. a. Determine the full spreading rate for these same ridges. This is the rate at which the ocean basins are opening (the ocean basin is increasing by this many cm each year). c. i. 2. a. Which direction is the pacific plate moving? f. iii. 1. east f. iv. Which plate has volcanoes on it due to this subduction zone? f. iv. 1. australian. Be able to predict what type of plate boundary is present when given sufficient data about a real location.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers