ACCTG 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Epanalepsis, Rhyme Royal, Imagism

8 views7 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Literary studies iii poetry 1: features of poetic texts, model of poetic communication, sound: metre, rhythm and rhyme, morphological and syntactic features. Anglo-saxon poetry: riddles from the book of exeter (c. 980) A wonder on the wave / water became bone. I am fire-fretted / and i flirt with wind; my limbs are light-freighted / i am lapped in flame. I am storm-stacked / and i strain to fly; I"m a grove leaf-bearing / and a glowing coal. In anglo-saxon poetry there is an alternative meter which works only with alliterations (these are modern version, otherwise we could not understand them: features of poetic texts. High degree of verbal pattering or design two dimensions: sense and sound of a word. Musical quality, careful crafting of sound patterns. High density, shortness/brevity (except for epic poetry) Deviation from everyday language (metre, rhyme, rhetorical figures) literariness foregrounding of acoustic potential of language overstructured and different from everyday conversation.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers