BISC 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Kainate Receptor, Exocytosis, Chloride Channel

43 views8 pages

Document Summary

Our knowledge of how synapse work is largely due to the work of. Henry dale and otto loewi: they knew that nerves were involved in body messages but didn"t know how, otto loewi took a frog heart with an attached vagus nerve and suspended it in a physiological saline solution b. i. In vertebrates, the vagus nerve controls heart rate: below the first solution, there was another frog heart but with no vagus nerve. Synapses are specialized junctions between a neuron and a target cell: they are called the presynaptic neuron and the post synaptic neuron, types: b. i. Current applied to the axon of the presynaptic cell is not transferred to the postsynaptic cell b. ii. Dendrites can have several synaptic inputs (connections), because each dendritic spine indicates a synapse c. ii. The presynaptic terminal can also be called the presynaptic bouton: the function of a chemical synapse d. i. The action potential arrives at the presynaptic neuron terminal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers