ISS 310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Visalia, California, Flour Sack, Hanford, California

33 views4 pages

Document Summary

Cities, slums, and smart growth : cities urban/suburban sprawl, urban population a. i. 1900: 14% of world"s population lived in cities (=urban population) a. ii. Today: a little over 50% of people live in cities on 2% of the world"s land a. iii. The un forecasts that today"s urban population of 3. 6 billion will rise to nearly 5 billion by 2030 a. iv. Phenomenal rise in urbanization will continue into future. Ongoing movement of people from rural to a. iv. 1. urban areas a. v. U. s: more urban (cities + suburbs) than world average (82% urban today: megacities: >10 million people (includes metropolitan area) b. i. U. s. : nyc, la (vulnerable positions on the coastlines) b. ii. Tokyo, japan: world"s largest megacity and metro area in the world b. iii. Karachi, pakistan: fastest growing megacity in the world, 80% population growth from 2000 to present (23. 5 million in. Largest city in muslim world; 7th largest in the: environmental impacts world c. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers