ISS 310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Corn Syrup, Eu Three, Genetically Modified Maize

28 views4 pages

Document Summary

Soils, agriculture, and food resources: industrialized agriculture, developed world (mdc"s) a. i. Industrialized agriculture: developing world (ldc"s, some parts of nic"s) b. i. Industrialized agriculture: c. i. uses about ~17% of energy in the us c. ii. uses more fossil fuels (food production, processing, and distribution and preparation) c. ii. 1. Us: food travels on average 1500 miles from farm to plate c. ii. 2. Loss of biodiversity (plants, insects, birds, etc. ) compared to traditional agriculture c. iv. Soil erosion= soil degradation (loss of soil fertility in the usa, especially in midwest) c. iv. 1. All farmland in the us and china: some or serious concern c. v. Farming resulted in massive loss of soil fertility c. v. 1. c. v. 2. c. v. 3. because of water and wind erosion c. v. 4. Historic (18th century 1940s) corn cultivation: massive soil erosion c. v. 4. a. Loss of topsoil = farming in the subsoil c. v. 5. c. v. 6. Help put nitrogen back into the soil c. v. 7. Sources of phosphates and nitrates c. v. 8. c. v. 8. a. c. v. 8. b. c. v. 8. c. c. v. 8. d. c. v. 8. d. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers