ESCI 401 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Clastic Rock, Laminar Flow, Turbulence

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Give three examples of mechanical and chemical weathering processes, mechanical i. : thermal expansion outer layer of rocks breaks off in sheet-like pieces due to heating. : animal attack: chemical, minerals in a rock are chemically changed or dissolved. : acid rain breaks apart ionic bonds that hold calcium and carbonate together in limestone. 1. ii. iii. iv. v. i. i. i. Fungi and other life forms: what are three ways particles move downstream, suspension, saltation, rolling. Large particles get rolled along bed: what are three kinds of sedimentary basins and where do they form, what are the five steps that create sandstone from sand, 5 steps to creating clastic sedimentary rocks. Clastic = cemented together pieces of previous rocks i: weathering, physical or chemical breakdown of rocks, physical i. Fragmentation by mechanical processes: chemical, minerals in a rock are chemically changed or dissolved iii. Erosion: no weathering fresh or unweathered , processes that dislodge weathered particles, abrasion, plucking, dissolution.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers