SOCL 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Participant Observation

40 views2 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: methods of social research, positivism, must draw causal inferences about the relations among a set of characteristics or variables. Variables of interest ii: things we want to explain include, distinguishing between dependent and independent variables, dependent and independent variables serve in a cause and effect relationship, causality, must be determined when testing hypotheses about relationships ii. Operationalizing: construct and define how you will engage in something in order to measure something abstract iii. Allows us to manipulate an independent variable while holding all other variables constant: virtues i. Rigor defines the ideal method for establishing causal analysis: limitations i. Four conditions: there must be co-variance a. If x then y: the association must be meaningful, the temporal ordering must be clear, we must be able to eliminate rival hypotheses, critiques of these methods (ethnologies) i. ii. Dehumanizing: quantitative studies marginalize the meanings held by respondents iii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers