MUSIC 011 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Mixolydian Mode, Gregorian Chant, Major Scale

45 views1 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

I(cid:373)(cid:373)erse yourself i(cid:374) liste(cid:374)i(cid:374)g to (cid:271)oth (cid:862)puer (cid:374)atus est (cid:374)o(cid:271)is(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)os justi,(cid:863) (cid:272)o(cid:374)sideri(cid:374)g whether there are effects of mode on you as listener. One chant is written in the mixolydian mode, the other in the dorian mode. Describe your responses to these chants, and any differences you feel as a result of the different modes. Examine the score of each chant, identifying the first three notes of each mode. In this week"s lesson, we learned about two different modes mixolydian and dorian that resemble major and minor scales but differ in certain notes. Puer natus est nobis is written in the mixolydian mode and os justi is in the dorian mode. Although, i didn"t understand what either one of them was saying, the one in dorian mode sounded a lot more soothing. The mixolyidan mode has the same first three notes at major scale and only the seventh note is different.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers