NUR 424 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Intravenous Sugar Solution, Sepsis, Body Fluid

34 views9 pages
25 Oct 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Glossary: acidosis, ascites, active transport, alkalosis, diffusion, homeostasis, hydrostatic pressure, hypertonic solution, hypotonic solution, osmolality, osmolality, osmosis, tonicity. Fluid and electrolyte balance: necessary for life homeostasis, nurses role related to balance/imbalance. Fluid: approximately 60% of typical adult is fluid. Varies with age, gender, body size/body fat. Transcellular (cid:862)thi(cid:396)d spa(cid:272)i(cid:374)g(cid:863): loss of ecf i(cid:374)to spa(cid:272)e that does (cid:374)ot (cid:272)o(cid:374)t(cid:396)i(cid:271)ute to e(cid:395)uili(cid:271)(cid:396)iu(cid:373) Intravascular: 3l of 6l of blood volume, plasma. Transcellular: 1l, cerebral spinal, pericardial, intraocular, pleural, digestive secretions, sweat. Third space fluid: not contributing to icf-ecf equilibrium, decreased urine output with adequate fluid intake: imbalanced i&o, multiple etiologies. Electrolytes: active chemicals that carry positive (cations), negative (anions) electrical charges. Major cations: sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, hydrogen. Major anions: chloride, bicarbonate, phosphate, sulfate, proteinate ions: electrolyte concentrations differ in fluid compartments. Regulation of fluid: movement of fluid through capillary walls depends on. Hydrostatic pressure: exerted on walls of blood vessels.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers