P H 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Bioterrorism, Environmental Health, Biostatistics

26 views4 pages
24 Jan 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Mission- (cid:862)fulfill(cid:373)e(cid:374)t of so(cid:272)iety"s i(cid:374)terest i(cid:374) assuri(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:374)ditio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h people (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:271)e healthy(cid:863) Substance- (cid:862)orga(cid:374)ized (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)ity efforts ai(cid:373)ed at pre(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d pro(cid:373)otio(cid:374)al health(cid:863) Assessment: does it work: monitor, diagnose. Policy development: create policy laws, guidelines, regulations, based on assessments. Assurance: make sure policies are being followed, train ph professionals and evaluate effectiveness of the policies. Public health: how it relates to science and politics. Science: we understand threats to health, determine what interventions might work, and evaluate whether interventions worked. Politics: how we, as a society make decisions about what policies to implement: policy development, assurance function of public health. Community pays for public health initiative through taxes. Epidemiology: basic science of ph, study of epidemics: human population outbreak of disease in community, aims to control the spread of infectious diseases, seeks causes of chronic disease and ways to eliminate harmful exposures. Biomedical sciences: helps us understand how biology impacts health anatomy and physiology and human microbiology.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers