P H 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Bubonic Plague, Yellow Fever, Smallpox

26 views3 pages
17 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What is an infectious disease- who definition (cid:862)i(cid:374)fe(cid:272)tious disease a(cid:396)e (cid:272)aused (cid:271)y pathoge(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)i(cid:272)(cid:396)oo(cid:396)ga(cid:374)is(cid:373)s: such as bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi, diseases are spread directly or indirectly from one person to another. Examples for the past: bubonic plague (cid:862)(cid:271)la(cid:272)k death(cid:863, tuberculosis, smallpox, cholera, yellow fever, measles. Public health measures: purification of water, proper disposal of sewage, pasteurization of milk. Infectious agent is something that infiltrates another living thing, like you. When infectious agent hitches a ride, you become an infected host. There are four main classes of infectious: bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites. Bacteria: tuberculosis, cholera, typhoid, tetanus, diphtheria, dysentery, syphilis. Viruses: small pox, aids, yellow fever, rabies. The transmission pattern is composed of links: pathogen (infectious agent, reservoir, means of transmission, susceptible host. Public health measures to control the spread of disease are aimed at interrupting the chain of infection at whichever links are most vulnerable. Touching contaminated object and putting hands to mouth, nose, eyes.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers