P H 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Health Belief Model, Transtheoretical Model, Health Equity

28 views3 pages
17 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Most important predictor of health is socioeconomic status (ses) Health gradient holds at all levels of the social scale. Inequalities in population health due to inequalities in social status. Health is also affected by gender, marital status, race and ethnicity. Us racial and ethnic minorities have poorer health than whites: health disparities are a big concern of public health. Stress: mortality increase after death of spouse, loss of job, divorce, etc. Increased risk of heart disease and common cold: more daily hassles at lower ses. Social support: helps reduce impact of stress: alameda study, stress buffer. Psychological models of health behavior: health belief model. Classic frame of reference for understanding health behavior and especially behavior change is the health belief mode. I am vulnerable to threat: threat is serious, taking action, i can protect myself. Self-efficacy is: e(cid:374)se of havi(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:374)trol over o(cid:374)e"s life. Increased by seeing others successfully perform, especially if the model is a peer.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers