B MGT 341 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Organizational Behavior, Scientific Method

44 views2 pages
Organizational behavior
is an inter-disciplinary field that seeks knowledge of all aspects of behaviors in organizational
settigs y the use of the sietifi ethod; it’s the study of hat people thik, feel, ad do i
and around organizations.
o Individual processes
o Group processes
o Organizational Processes
OB is based on a contingency perspective, and the best course of action depends on the
interplay of person and environment factors, including:
o Technology
o Tasks
o Structure
o Leader abilities
o Individual skills
The Value of OB to My Job and Career
OB attempts to overcome limits of using common sense
o Does not settle for traditional options if another solution is better
o Based on systematic science-based approach which makes users more attractive to
potential employers and more effective employees
Skills most desired by employers are soft skills that can be obtained through the study of OB
Human and Social Capital
Human Capital
Productive potential of a idiidual’s:
o Knowledge
o Skills
o Experiences
Social Capital
Productive potential resulting from:
o Relationships
o Trust
o Goodwill
o Cooperative effort
Right vs. Wrong Ethics and My Performance
Ethics
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Organizational behavior is an inter-disciplinary field that seeks knowledge of all aspects of behaviors in organizational setti(cid:374)gs (cid:271)y the use of the s(cid:272)ie(cid:374)tifi(cid:272) (cid:373)ethod; it"s the study of (cid:449)hat people thi(cid:374)k, feel, a(cid:374)d do i(cid:374) and around organizations. Individual processes: group processes, organizational processes, ob is based on a contingency perspective, and the best course of action depends on the interplay of person and environment factors, including, technology, tasks, structure, leader abilities. Human capital: productive potential of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s, knowledge, skills, experiences. Social capital: productive potential resulting from, relationships, trust, goodwill, cooperative effort. Right vs. wrong ethics and my performance. Ethics: moral pri(cid:374)(cid:272)iples that go(cid:448)er(cid:374) a perso(cid:374)"s or group"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior; ethics is concerned with distinguishing between good and evil in the world, between right and wrong human actions, and between virtuous and nonvirtuous characteristics of people. Business ethics: the application of moral rules by a corporation to determine how best to treat its employees, shareholders and customers.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers