ADV 2151 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Norman Rockwell, Fine Art, Traditional Animation

19 views2 pages
Intro to Art Direction
Week 8 - Illustration, Cartoons, Photography.
What’s the Differee Betee a
Drawing & an Illustration?
Could soeoe ake a fie art draig that is’t, i a sese, a illustratio, or a
illustratio that is’t, i a sese, expressive fine art? Probably not. Drawing and
Illustration are not mutually exclusive.
Simply put a drawing can be an illustration but generally speaking an illustration not
osidered a draig i the fie art sese of the ter.
There is always an
exception to the rule
An illustrator like Norman Rockwell who created some of the most icon
posters/magazine covers of the 20th century is now collected and admired as a fine
artist.
In many cases an Illustrator may have two bodies of work, one that is more
commercially driven for advertising and one that is more fine-art driven for galleries.
So what makes it an Illustration
An illustration, first and foremost, is trying to communicate specific content to the
viewer. A medical illustration, for instance, strives to, as simply and directly as possible,
demonstrate visually the content of the medical text it accompanies. It is conceived with
the ieer’s eperiee i id ad is desiged to reate the sae speifi
unambiguous experience within each viewer. Epressio of the aker’s sesiilit,
though inescapable, is not essential. The perfect pure illustration would only express its
desired content, with no residual expression of the uniqueness of its author.
Well hat aout Draig
Fine art drawing is about exploration and exploration depends upon unknowns. Above
all, the destination is unknown, and that characteristic distinguishes fine art from
illustratio. A artist usuall does’t ko i adae hat he or she ill
end up making.
What is a Cartoon
Merriam-Webster defines it as a drawing intended as satire, caricature, or humor.
5 Types of Animation
Traditional Animation. (2D, Cel, Hand Drawn)
2D Animation. (Vector-Based)
3D Animation. (CGI, Computer Animation)
Motion Graphics. (Typography, Animated Logos, etc)
Stop Motion. (Claymation, Cut-Outs)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Intro to art direction: week 8 - illustration, cartoons, photography, what"s the differe(cid:374)(cid:272)e bet(cid:449)ee(cid:374) a. A medical illustration, for instance, strives to, as simply and directly as possible, demonstrate visually the content of the medical text it accompanies. It is conceived with the (cid:448)ie(cid:449)er"s e(cid:454)perie(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374) (cid:373)i(cid:374)d a(cid:374)d is desig(cid:374)ed to (cid:272)reate the sa(cid:373)e spe(cid:272)ifi(cid:272) unambiguous experience within each viewer. E(cid:454)pressio(cid:374) of the (cid:373)aker"s se(cid:374)si(cid:271)ilit(cid:455), though inescapable, is not essential. The perfect pure illustration would only express its desired content, with no residual expression of the uniqueness of its author: well (cid:449)hat a(cid:271)out (cid:862)dra(cid:449)i(cid:374)g(cid:863, fine art drawing is about exploration and exploration depends upon unknowns. Above all, the destination is unknown, and that characteristic distinguishes fine art from illustratio(cid:374). Cartoons do this effortlessly, but with an added bonus. Humor is about revealing truth in a twist. When we send them as postcards, they end up on refrigerator doors and office walls, where they can have a lasting effect on response.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers