CSCD 1108 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Phoneme, Subcategorization, Nominative Case

45 views6 pages

Document Summary

Called content because they have semantic content , i. e. a definitional meaning that stands alone: function words (closed class): preposition, conjunction, functional adverb, Traditional definition: words that represent people, places and things. Children : others are made plural without changing their form at all, such as. Possessive inflection: nouns are words that can be inflected for case, specifically the possessive case, case: refers to the relationship between a noun and some other element in a sentence, concepts of case: distinguishing. Subject pronouns (i): nominative case: object pronouns (me): accusative case. Possessive determiners (my): genitive case: example, the oil in the can has an unpleasant odor, the oil"s odor was unpleasant, verbs. Traditional definition: words that take the place of, or substitute for, nouns. The root or stem of a content word (n, v, a, descriptive adv) i. e. a content word minus any suffixes or prefixes.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers