PSY-0013 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Stroop Effect, Social Perception, Cognitive Load

46 views4 pages
23 Dec 2015
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

An approach to social psychology: social cognition: the study of (the process of) how people make sense of themselves and others (the world); focus on process in addition to content i. Informed by the models, methods, and measures of cognitive. Psychology: try to understand how people think about the world, models: categorization, information processing, mental representation, methods: priming, sorting, imaging techniques, measures: reaction time, recall, recognition, associative network model of person memory i. Central node of person: stronger links are darker person, social vs. Object perception: people can vary in what they associate with another i. Two modes of social cognition: automatic processing: fast, unconscious, mandatory, efficient, controlled processing: slow, conscious, optional, effortful. If yes, controlled processing: heavily influenced by expectancies ii. iii. i. ii. iii. iv. Schemas/scripts: mental representations of the social world: descriptive representations of reality (what we know and how it is organized, people, roles, and stereotypes, situations. First version logical framing, confirmation bias abounds.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers