BIO 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Glycosylation, Scleroprotein, Tight Junction

40 views6 pages

Document Summary

Advantages and challenges to multicellularity: advantages a. i. Every cell in the organism needs food to survive b. iv. Evolution of multicellularity: adhesion of cells (cell adhesions and extracellular matrix) a. i. Hold the cells together: choanoflagellates are the closest organisms to animals in the eukaryotic tree b. i. It is likely that multicellular organisms evolved in a symbiotic relationship with bacteria b. iv. 1. Choanoflagellates are a major means of studying this: diversification. Differentiating cells so that they can specialize so we can take advantage of the different advantages of multicellularity c. iii. Dictyostelium different cells become different cell types: communication d. i. Extracellular matrix serves some signaling capacity: reproduction e. i. One of the biggest challenges: a way to absorb nutrients, h2o, gases and to excrete waste f. i. We have evolved a digestive system in order to absorb nutrients f. ii. 1. Plants have evolved other mechanisms: protective barriers g. i. Cell adhesions: ways cells stick together so cells don"t fall apart, form a protective boundary c.