BIO 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Aerobic Organism, Autotroph, Fokker E.Ii

38 views7 pages

Document Summary

Life a state of existence defined by the ability to undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and evolve. Metabolism the set of chemical reactions needed to sustain life: catabolism ( throw or break down ) the set of cellular reactions used to harvest outside energy and convert it into a useable form a. i. The usable form is almost always atp a. ii. When people say metabolism they are generally talking about this part: anabolism ( throw or build up ) the set of reactions that produce biological macromolecules and other large molecules needed to sustain life b. i. Builds the macromolecules that make catabolism possible b. iii. Living organisms need carbon and energy: organisms can be categorized based on where they get their carbon and energy a. i. Oxidation of organic compounds chemotroph a. i. 2. a. i. e. humans a. i. 2. a. i. Use oxidation of glucose as source of energy a. ii. All of our biological macromolecules are based in carbon a. ii. 1. a.