PSY 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Rorschach Test, Thematic Apperception Test, Penis Envy

49 views3 pages
29 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Defense mechanisms: repression, reaction formation, displacement, xation, regression, projection, introjection, sublimation. Defense mechanisms: the egos protective methods of educing anxiety by unconsciously distorting reality, repression. Defense mechanism that banishes anxiety- arousing thoughts, feelings, and memories from consciousness: regression. Ex:starts sucking thumb when scared even though they don"t usually suck their thumb: reaction formation. Ex: over the top opposite about your true feelings, you don"t like your brothers new girlfriend but you are over the top nice to her: projection. Disguise their own threatening impulses by attributing them to others. Ex: blaming everyone in your hall for stealing something, even though you are stealing from your roommate: rationalization. Self-justifying explanations in place of the real, more threatening, unconscious reasons for ones actions. Ex: i failed the test because my professor hates me: displacement. Shifts sexual or aggressive impulses toward a more acceptable or less threatening object or person.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers