POL 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Soft Law, Universal Jurisdiction, Kyoto Protocol

29 views4 pages

Document Summary

International law and )orld order: overview, goals and sources, )hat are the goals, purposes, and characteristics of international law, compliance. International criminal court i. c: basics of international law, private international law i. ii. States: talking about governments signing treaties that govern themselves, nuclear relationships, managing relations between states/governments, )hile municipal law is created by legislature, international law can. The anarchical society: purposes and characteristics of international law, coordination i. ii. Are still incentives to cheat: conditions for peace d, compared to municipal law . Formal vs. informal: municipal is more formal; international is informal, there are customs/principles that countries establish over time, can still be punished if you violate the norms/international law based on consent f. (cid:873)hard(cid:874) vs. (cid:873)soft(cid:874) law. Force vs. consent: municipal is hierarchical/top-down; international is laterally between governments, create laws for themselves, municipal law is an implicit threat of force; international law is.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers