JAPAN 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Ashikaga Yoshimasa, Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, Ginkaku-Ji

43 views5 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Kyoto rocks may represent islands or tigers zen: focus on one activity, esp. beneficial if the activity is mindless style of garden that came out of china"s song period. Retires position of shogun but still retains power. Retreats into the mountain villa away from capital because he has such authority and presence. Silver pavilion (ginkakuji, 1474) - only two stories. Rock gardens: blend of chinese style and japanese symbols. Song dynasty: period of prosperity, powerful dynasty > reflected in the landscape. Monks: civilization is not working out, i"m going to seek the truth through the mountains in my retreat. Landscape of the four seasons: muromachi period - zen priest called. Autumn: bleaker, sad time, year is ending, absence of life. Patriarchs of zen buddhism i, kano motonobu, 1513 also influenced by zen dreary, aged and worn aesthetic we like worn objects better than new ones mystery in landscape, sense of impermanence.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers