ESS 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Monounsaturated Fat, Glycerol, Lecithin

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

The type and amount of carbohydrate foods affects their glycemic index and glycemic load. Glycemic index (gi)- a # used to rank carbohydrate foods by their ability to raise blood glucose levels compared with a reference standard. Glycemic load (gl)- the extent of increase in blood glucose levels, calculated by multiplying glycemic index by the carbohydrate ___ The glycemic load of a medium apple is 5. 7. The amount of carbohydrate contained in a given food multiplied by its glycemic index value. (cid:373)ay (cid:271)e a (cid:271)etter i(cid:374)di(cid:272)ator of a food"s effort o(cid:374) glu(cid:272)ose respo(cid:374)se (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause if fa(cid:272)tors i(cid:374) gly(cid:272)e(cid:373)i(cid:272) index and grams of carbohydrate. Low glycemic load diet may help maintain healthy blood glucose levels and reduce risk of heart disease and colon cancer because low-glycemic load foods generally contain more fiber and help decrease fat levels in the blood. Registered dieticians can assist diabetics with meal planning and blood glucose management.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers