CSE 131 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Device Driver, Programmable Interrupt Controller, User Space

40 views4 pages
4 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

*blue text is to set up the service procedure, green is the useful line that runs the service procedure (process the interrupt), red text is to prepare the next thing (process or something else) Device drivers go between device controllers and rest of os. Drivers standardize interface to widely varied devices. Device drivers communicate with controllers over bus. Device-independent i/o software device - independent i/o software provides common library routines for i/o software. Helps drivers maintain a standard appearance to the rest of the. Uniform interface for many device drivers for. Device-independent block size (keep track of blocks) User program is represented as the circle. First approach: when anything is read from the disk (input), it"s passed through the kernel space to the user program. Problem: if the user program is not ready to collect the data that"s passed, the data will just be sent and not collected. Second approach: buffer in the user space.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers