MMW 12 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Nestorius, Marcionism, Mongol Invasions And Conquests

18 views3 pages

Document Summary

Marcion(ism) (85-160: vengeful and lesser old testament creator god (demiurge) and new testament redeemer are different gods. People (cid:449)ere (cid:272)reated i(cid:374) this lesser god"s i(cid:373)age why we are imperfect/ why we sin ie. like zeus replacing kronos: reje(cid:272)ts old testa(cid:373)e(cid:374)t a(cid:374)d o(cid:374)ly uses luke a(cid:374)d paul"s letters i(cid:374) ne(cid:449) testa(cid:373)ent. Inspired by polytheism: denounced by tertullian in 208. Based on mani (3rd century persian prophet) teachings. Focuses on cosmic struggle between good god of light and evil god of darkness. Rival to christianity in rome: perse(cid:272)uted after for(cid:373)er"s a(cid:272)(cid:272)epta(cid:374)(cid:272)e. Persecuted under sassanids perseveres in central asia and even china till mongol conquests. Arianism: jesus second to and separate from god, but still divine: some say he is a human prophet. Jesus was created capable of suffering and death. Developed by arius, berber priest of alexandria. Condemned by council of nicea in 325. Still persists in north africa and spain till 7th century.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers