GWS 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Class Discrimination, Discrimination Based On Skin Color

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Migration, like slavery, could not and will not silence our voices and kill our spirit (p. 429) Author starts by telling her life story as a young child and the environment that she was raised i n. Agriculture determined everyone"s life chances (p. 429) The majority of women in heartease during the 50s and 60s were dependent on agriculture and marketing of local crops. Four small factories were built a mile and a half from heartease in the 60s. The local industries were owned by individual local capitalists, and during the recession they pulled out of the area (p. 430) Being the oldest girl, the author was expected to do chores, including, cooking, washing, ironing, getting water from down the road, looking after the house, and watching over the younger siblings. I grew up doubting my capabilities, and because reprimand would be associated with my color i simply linked being black with being unable to do anything correctly (p. 430)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers