BIOLOGY 172 Lecture Notes - Lecture 37: Reverse Transcriptase, Vesicle Fusion, Botulinum Toxin

24 views3 pages
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

In humans, may only target bacteria-specific pathways: mostly early antibiotics were naturally occurring from fungi and bacteria b. i. Folic acid biosynthesis required for nucleotides c. i. 1. Peptidoglycan cell wall synthesis enzymes disrupts cell wall and blocks growth. Resistance: selection drives antibiotic resistance, super gonorrhea b. i. Only one class of antibiotics is effective at treating gonorrhea these days b. ii. When resistance evolves to this, gonorrhea will be untreatable c. Mutation in target protein so the antibiotic can"t bind c. ii. Evolution of an enzyme that degrades the antibiotic c. iii. Evolution of new biosynthetic pathways: multi-drug resistance occurs through action of a transporter that exports many antibiotics out of the cell, spread of resistance e. i. Typically antibiotic sensitive version is more fit than the insensitive in normal condition e. ii. Genetic exchange, especially if coded on a plasmid. Bacterial toxins: many bacteria are not deadly because of growth, but because they secrete toxins that disrupt function a. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers