BIOL 1061 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Inductive Reasoning, Deductive Reasoning, Emergence

35 views3 pages
25 Jul 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Evolutionary adaptation: living systems show hierarchical organization h. i. Cell is the basic unit of life h. ii. Earth is an ecosystem we call the biosphere: each level has emergent properties i. i. Cannot be deduced by looking at parts themselves i. iii. Life is an emergent property: the nature of science, science aims to understand the natural world through observation and reasoning, science begins with observations, therefore, much of science is purely descriptive b. i. Human genome sequencing: science uses both deductive and inductive reasoning, deductive reasoning uses general principles to make specific predictions e. Inductive reasoning uses specific observations to develop general conclusions: scientists use a systematic approach to gain understanding of the natural world f. i. Conclusion: a hypothesis is a possible explanation for an observation, a hypothesis. Is often tested in many different ways h. i. Must be tested to determine its validity h. ii. h. iii. Hypotheses can be changed and refined with new data: experiment j. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers